Enuresis is defined as inappropriate or involuntary voiding during the night at an age when urinary control should be achieved.
Traditional Oriental Medicine, provides a valuable treatment for children who experience enuresis. The diagnosis is based on whether your child exhibits signs of cold or heat and deficiency or excess.
Gentle Shonishin (pediatric acupuncture) or Tuina (pediatric massage) treatments, moxabustion or infrared heating therapy are used in conjunction with herbal formulas and dietary therapy to provide a successful outcome
Special points are emphasized, such as:
- Bai Hui (DU 20) is good at reinforcing and lifting yang, to help strengthen the bladder and control urination.
- San Yin Jiao (SP 6) regulates water flow and strengthens the bladder.
- Yi Niao Dian is the Bedwetting Hand point, also called Kidney point.
- Dan Tian and Ming men to warm the kidneys and bladder.
Special Herbal Formulas are prescribed, depending on your child’s diagnosis, such as:
- Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang
- Shen Ling Bai Zhu San or
- Jin Gui Shen Qi Wan
Dietary recommendations are given such as:
- Avoid cold and raw foods
- Eat cooked vegetables, soups and stews.
- Home treatments are taught to parents such as:
- Specific therapeutic massage techniques
To make an appointment or if you have any questions, contact Dr. Sally Sherriff, DAOM at 831-295-6327.
Information found on Dr. Sally’s website is not intended or offered as medical advice, diagnosis or endorsement of specific treatments or products in anyway. The information provided is for educational purposes only. We recommend that you always consult directly with a suitably qualified professional regarding specific issues you or your child may have.