Traditional Chinese Medicine views headaches as a sign of imbalance. Headaches are relieved through gentle treatments to nourish and harmonize the channels of energy (Qi). Diet and lifestyle changes are recommended to support the health of your child’s body, moind and spirit.
Some of the many potential headache triggers include:
- Certain medications (headaches are a potential side effect of some)
- Too little sleep or sudden changes in sleep patterns. Depending on their age, children need 10-11 hours of sleep every night. Make sure they are going to bed early enough to get the sleep that they need.
- Skipping meals. Be sure they are eating enough protein and vegetables every 2-4 hours.
- Becoming dehydrated. Add soups and herbal teas to their diet.
- Being under a lot of stress. Check in with how they are feeling, notice if they are worried or anxious about anything
- Having a minor head injury. Have they had an accident recently?
- Using the computer or watching TV for a long time. Make sure that your child plays outside every day. Limit screen time. This includes TV, computer, phone or any kind of electrical device.
- Vision problems. Be sure to have your child’s vision checked by a professional
- Experiencing changes in hormone levels
- Taking a long trip in a car or bus
- Listening to really loud music
- Smelling strong odors such as perfume, smoke, fumes, or a new car or carpet. Have you purchased anything new that your child may be reacting to?
- Drinking or eating too much caffeine (In soda, coffee, tea, and chocolate)
- Consuming foods with MSG (such as alcohol, cheese, nuts, pizza, chocolate, ice cream, fatty or fried food, lunch meats, hot dogs, yogurt, aspartame, or anything with the food additive MSG)
**Be sure to give your child fresh fruits and vegetables at least 3x/day
For an individualized healing program for your child and info on Lunar treatments, contact Dr. Sally Sherriff, L.Ac, DAOM at 831-295-6327. 320 River Street, Santa Cruz, California 95060